Friday evening Maria was playing at the MCC office along with some other children. They were swinging on the wash line pole and having a good old time until Maria slipped and fell on her back. Long story short, this afternoon we learned that she broke her humerus (upper arm bone) and needs to be in a sling cast for about four weeks. Since Friday evening she has been in a lot of pain every time her arm got jolted and we now wish that we would have taken her to the hospital sooner... but live and learn. She feels a lot better with the immobilizing bandage on and we’ll hopefully get a sling tomorrow. It is her left arm so it shouldn’t interfere with eating or anything else, but it will pose a dilemma for thumbsucking at night. (Left thumb is her preferred!) Wow…not an experience that we were looking for in our first ten days in Bolivia, but in Nathan’s words, “it is a little cool that Maria is the first one to break a bone in our family.”
Here are a few pictures.
Laurie

Checking out the x-rays!

Here is the broken humerus! Our doctor told us it would heal fast.

Getting the immobilizing bandage.

Showing it off!
6 comments:
What a sweetheart! Tell Maria that we hope she's feeling better and that Macy thought she looked really brave. Her exact words, "I would like to see she again soon ..." Take care.
Dear Maria, When are you going to come back? I really miss you. When is your arm going to be better? Love, Zoe
Maria! You are a brave girl. I'm glad that you have kept your smile. See you soon!
Hey Maria, sorry to hear about your arm. We hope you're feeling better.
Love,
Jeff and Soila
What a trooper!!
Hi Maria,
Thank you for sending me all of the wonderful notes so I can stay in touch with you. I am so sorry that you broke your arm! You look like such a big girl. I am so proud of how brave you are. Please send me your address so I can send you a letter in the mail. I have a picture for you that I never got to drop off at your house before you left.
I love you and miss you,
Miss Barbara
ps. Say "hi" to Nathan and Jesse for me.
Post a Comment