Sunday, January 25, 2009

Referendum day

Today is a big day for Bolivia as they hold a nation-wide vote on a new constitution. No vehicles will be allowed on the roads and everything will be shut down - people have to walk or ride bike to their local voting place! There are strong feelings on both sides, so we pray there will not be violence during this referendum day and especially in the weeks to come as the risk of confrontation will be high regardless of the outcome of the vote.

If you're interested in more detail about the constitution and the various points of contention, here's a good overview from the Andean Information Network.

Lynn

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Lynn and Laurie--I am SO out of touch I'm embarrassed, and was delighted to finally find your blog address (I lost it somehow) and get caught up a little on your lives! So sorry to hear of Nathan's surgery and all the dengue fever! I hope that Bolivia is feeling more and more like home. We miss you here, of course, but am glad for this way to stay in touch. Give your kids hugs from us all.--Valerie