When I opened my eyes this morning, Maria was standing beside my bed with her uniform ready to get dressed. (Whew…that was a relief to a nervous mom!) Nathan was in good spirits too. When we got there we went right in. It was nice to see the teachers we had met before. They remembered us and were so friendly and welcoming. It was a very relaxed atmosphere because in the teachers estimate, half of the children did not come to school today. So in many ways it worked to our advantage because it was a fairly calm environment to enter. We looked around a bit and reconnected with the physical space and confirmed where the bathroom was for each of them. Then they played a bit in the patio play area and then when the teachers called their students into the different rooms, we said good bye and they each held their teachers’ hands and walked into their classrooms. They both looked a bit nervous, but there was no hesitation.
I went back at 12 noon for dismissal. Both teachers said things went very well. Nathan played soccer with new friends at recess. His teacher said that he integrated very well (her words). Maria's teachers said basically the same thing. Maria told me right away that she likes it. When I arrived I saw her holding hands with a row of girls and coming in from recess. Her teacher also told me that she learned a song that she should try and sing in Spanish. She remembered only one little phrase of it. Nathan has English class tomorrow and he is curious to see what that will be like. He had phys ed today and was happy that they got to run laps on the soccer field and then play soccer. He said that he “thinks he made one friend.” Touching.
Tomorrow one of Nathan's classmates has a birthday and the parents are bringing a cake in and so he is pleased about that. The teacher told me that small gifts are typical from the other students when this occurs. So we did the best we could and walked up the street to a tienda to buy a small gift. (only 10Bs... but I'm wondering if we'll have to do this a lot). At bedtime tonight they seemed tired, but Nathan checked to see that his clean uniform tee shirt is ready for the morning. Seems ready to go again, (the promise of birthday cake really helps...) but we’re glad it’s Friday.
So we're relieved, but realize there will still be some challenges ahead to walk through. Thanks for all your interest and support.
Laurie
5 comments:
Hi Longeneckers! We love keeping up with your blog. Especially when I read about these school situations, I picture my own little kindergarteners and how it must feel to be on the other side. :o)
I would be interested to hear about how you have found Santa Cruz. Did my pictures and descriptions fit at all?
We're feeling a little better about Nairobi and the "safety issues." For example, we've felt more free to ride matatus (the public transport) and take walks around the neighborhood without so much fear. Granted, we still don't go out much after dark, and we always are aware of our surroundings. So...we're adjusting. :o)
Looking forward to the next update...
Jill (and Nate)
Love the school picture! Finally a first day to report about. I'm sure that I could just tell you in person, but isn't it fun to get a comment on your blog?! I'm curious to know how the class birthday party went.
See you tomorrow, hopefully healthy and well.
I love Jesse in the background. Just running around without a care in the world. I miss his smile and hearing him playing outside.
Kristin
Thank you for keeping us updated. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I love the pictures! The kids look great.
Love,
Miss Barbara
So neat to hear about the kids' first day! I hope it continues to go well.
Lesley
Post a Comment